Why I joined the Craft Room Challenge? Simple. Because lately, THIS is the view I wake up to every morning and THAT needs to change!
An open craft space calls for some tidiness
See, I live in a wonderful apartment with hardwood floor, high ceilings and spectacular crown molding in a historical building and the only two things I lack is a balcony and a dedicated craft room.
But I do have a cute little craft corner in my bedroom and I store my craft supplies in nooks and crannies all over my apartment. In my closet, in my bedroom, in my living room, the hallway, even up in the attic.
As I obviously can’t simply close the door to a messy craft room, I try to keep things somewhat tidy most of the times. I even got a photo from last summer to prove it:
But with all those Christmas crafts, gift wrapping activities, and lots of family time (that was the perfect excuse to skip clean up time by the way), things got out of hand. Sort of. Massively.
I bet you’ve probably been there, done that, right?
Never touch a running system!?
Through time I’ve installed a naturally grown storage system for my craft supplies in my apartment. I am really quite happy with it! Of course, it is not 100 % perfect, but neither am I.
To be honest, I am often surprised at how quick I find things whenever I need them.
My system seems to work all right!
And even though it is said to never touch a running system, I have some eyesores that are nagging me for quite a while now. I wanted to tackle them for such a long time but never got round to do it.
Craft Room Challenge 2018
- Before Shots and Overall Goals
- Week 1 – Workspace
- Week 2 – The Purge
- Week 3 – Organise Supplies (as soon as I’ve accomplished this and the following tasks, I’ll link to them for you)
- Week 4 – Clean & Decorate
So I figured why not jump on that “Craft Room Challenge”-train and Get. Shit. Done. Finally!
Also, I work best when under pressure and let me tell you, a tight schedule that is, at least for me.
- Today we’re about to confess our messes.
- Next week it’s all about finding those workspaces again, we’ve buried under the messes.
- After that it’s choices over choices: keep, sell, trash, donate
- Before we get to organize, file, and sort everything by color (year right, not gonna happen, lol)
- Finally, decorate (Now, wouldn’t it be nice to skip all the weeks before and get right to the fun part?)
My Plan of Action
So that I – and you – don’t get overwhelmed here, I’ll break it down into even more manageable steps (or at least, that’s what I am telling myself).
Also, I am a very visual person, so if you had been over for a visit lately, you would have seen me standing still and staring at my craft space a lot. Thinking. Scetching.
Reawakening those projects I had started planning, collecting for and even working on, but somehow never finished:
Create decorative storage space behind the bedroom door.
Install a system for THE DUMP…
…also known as “let’s put the supplies for my totally next project here real quick for them to be never ever seen again”.
Say YES to more storage and NO to all that clutter
Optimize storage space to fit even more crafting goodies
And last but not least something I can’t simply buy or build, but a habit I need to develop:
Discipline in cleaning up after being creative
Confess The Mess – You are NOT alone!
There, now that wasn’t too bad at all. Because I know I am – albeit all that mess – still loveable, wonderful, unique and a good person. And so are you!
We all live in times of great pressure. We are to be 150 % perfect in our jobs, in our family life, in our hobbies and what not. Robots basically, running on I don’t know what.
But that is not how it is supposed to be. We are all human beings and we are supposed to be happy, carefree, and loved!
If you want to get to know Marie, Aleisha, Pam, Yami, Jolene, Lyne, and Shirley, other wonderful human beings I am proud to call my friends, watch this video and follow us along or even join in on our Craft Room Challenge 2018.
PS: Read up on the Craft Room Challenge 2018 further down in this post.
Welcome to the 2018 Craft Room Challenge!
- From January 3rd through January 31st, 14 crafty bloggers will be sorting, organizing, cleaning, and decorating their craft spaces.
- Each of us has a very different craft space to tackle, so chances are you will find one similar to yours. We’d love for you to join in on the fun challenge and clean right alongside us.
- Follow along and join in on social media by using #craftroomchallenge and #confessyourmess.
- You can also find us and the challenge via our social media accounts you’ll see listed on each of our sites.
- We’ll also have 15-minute mini daily challenges for you in case you have limited time to dedicate to the challenge.
- We hope you share your messy spaces and progress with us so we don’t feel alone this month!
Before you see the rest of the crafty spaces, please meet our lovely hosts:
Michelle from Our Crafty Mom
Now, let’s take a look at their craft rooms and spaces!